Safety of laser products - Part 1: Equipment classification and requirements
- to introduce a system of classification of lasers and laser products emitting radiation in the wavelength range 180 nm to 1 mm according to their degree of optical radiation hazard in order to aid hazard evaluation and to aid the determination of user control measures;
- to establish requirements for the manufacturer to supply information so that proper precautions can be adopted;
- to ensure, through labels and instructions, adequate warning to individuals of hazards associated with accessible radiation from laser products; and
- to reduce the possibility of injury by minimizing unnecessary accessible radiation and to give improved control of the laser radiation hazards through protective features. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- a new class, Class 1C, was introduced;
- the measurement condition 2 ("eye loupe" condition) was removed;
- a classification of the emission of laser products below a certain radiance level that are intended to be used as replacement for conventional light sources can, as an option, be based on the IEC 62471 series;
- and the accessible emission limits (AELs) for Class 1, 1M, 2, 2M and 3R of pulsed sources, particularly of pulsed extended sources, were updated to reflect the latest revision of the ICNIRP guidelines on exposure limits (accepted for publication in Health Physics Journal 2013, see also www.icnirp.org).
It has the status of a horizontal standard in accordance with IEC Guide 104.
The contents of the Interpretation sheet 1 and 2 of December 2017 have been included in this copy.
|Publication type||International Standard|
|Available language(s)||English/French, Spanish|
|TC/SC||TC 76 - Optical radiation safety and laser equipmentrss|
|ICS||13.110 - Safety of machinery
31.260 - Optoelectronics. Laser equipment
|File size||3636 KB|
The following test report forms are related:
Share your publications
Learn how to share your publications with your colleagues, using networking options.
Our prices are in Swiss francs (CHF). We accept all major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard and Visa), PayPal and bank transfers as form of payment.
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with new publication releases and announcements with our free IEC Just Published email newsletter.
Contact customer services
Please send your enquiry by email or call us on +41 22 919 02 11 between 09:00 – 17:00 CET Monday to Friday.